Arrabbita Vegan Sauce
- oil for frying
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- a handful of whole Greek or Mediterranean olives, chopped (optional)
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp agave
- salt to taste
- extra olive oil for drizzling
- extra olive or two, for garnishing (optional)
- fresh parsley, or basil, for garnishing
1.Heat your saucepan, and fry the garlic in olive oil for a few moments. Then add the chopped chili and chopped olives (if using), followed by the tomato paste a few moments later. Stir for a minute on a low heat, but be careful not to burn the garlic.
2.Next, add the remaining ingredients, except only half the chopped tomatoes . Lower the heat, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
3.Then add the remaining tomatoes, cover, and simmer for a further 20 minutes or so, until the sauce is an orange-reddish color.
4.Serve with spaghetti or other pasta of your choice, cooked a little al dente. Taste the sauce for salt before serving.
5.Garnish with fresh herbs, and a couple of black olives