Collard & Mustard Greens with Bacon
Delicious mustard and collard greens made even better with the addition of bacon, onions, and a hint of Tabasco sauce. This recipe feeds about 8 people and makes a scrumptious side dish at any holiday meal or gathering. Serve with a hearty, meaty main course and some mashed potatoes for a spread of comfort food.
- 4-ounces slab bacon, about 8 or 9 slices, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 large bunches collard greens, stemmed
- 1 bunch mustard greens, stemmed
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Tabasco or hot pepper sauce, optional to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until fat is rendered. Reduce heat to low. Add onion and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Add all greens and stock. Cover and cook until greens are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle greens with hot pepper sauce to taste if desired. Transfer to bowl and serve.
This recipe can be prepared up to 4 1/2 hours ahead of service. Prepare, cook, and let stand at room temperature, then refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat. Transfer to bowl and serve.
You'll also love
- Makeover Grandma's Strawberry Pie 4.7/5 (35 Votes)
- Moist Lemon Angel Cake Roll 4.2/5 (69 Votes)
- Bubba Gump Coconut Shrimp 4.2/5 (72 Votes)
- Andouille Cajun Potatoes 4.3/5 (62 Votes)
- whole roasted cauliflower with a... 4.4/5 (52 Votes)
- Apple Cinnamon Kringle 4.5/5 (41 Votes)
- Bacon-Wrapped Trout 5/5 (7 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Bacon Cheese Potatoes 4.4/5 (53 Votes)