Grilled Calamari & Arugula Salad
Cook's Note: You can use the calamari tentacles, just be careful they don't fall off the skewer into the grill. This recipe can also be made indoors, cooking the calamari in a skillet.
- GRAPEFRUIT VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- CALAMARI SALAD:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch red chili flakes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- Sea salt
- 1 pound calamari, bodies only, cleaned and sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 handfuls baby arugula
- 1 pink grapefruit, segmented
- 1/2 bulb fennel, shaved very thinly on a mandolin
- Bamboo skewers, soaked for 30 minutes or metal skewers
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Add the grapefruit juice and vinegar to a medium bowl. Add the olive oil while whisking to combine. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Mix together the oil, chili flakes, garlic, lemon juice and zest, parsley and some salt in a large bowl. Add the calamari, toss together and let marinate for 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Preheat a grill to high heat.
Remove the calamari from the marinade and skewer them. Skewering the rings of the calamari onto 2 skewers each will help to keep them on the skewer and not fall off into the grill. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill for about 2 minutes per side. They should be slightly charred and opaque.
Add the calamari, arugula, grapefruit segments, fennel and vinaigrette to a large bowl and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Mixed Radishes with Yogurt Butter 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon Delight 4.4/5 (48 Votes)
- Stuffed Zucchini 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Strawberry Scones 4.5/5 (36 Votes)
- Sea Bass & Tomato Ceviche 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Crab Imperial 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Roasted Carrot Salad with Arugula,... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Spinach, Tomato & Goat Cheese... 5/5 (3 Votes)