Moist Lemon Angel Cake Roll
Tart and delicious, this pretty cake roll will tickle any lemon lover's fancy. Its feathery, angel food texture enhances its guilt-free goodness.
- 9 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Additional confectioners' sugar
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Place the egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 15-inch x 10-inch x 1-inch baking pan with waxed paper; lightly coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.
Carefully spread batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and food coloring if desired. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving plate; sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar.
You'll also love
- Bubba Gump Coconut Shrimp 4.1/5 (84 Votes)
- Andouille Cajun Potatoes 4.2/5 (67 Votes)
- Polo Shirt Cake 4.4/5 (53 Votes)
- Official Woodland Bakery Fudge... 4/5 (112 Votes)
- Apple Cinnamon Kringle 4.5/5 (47 Votes)
- Orange Dreamsicle Layer Cake 4.6/5 (36 Votes)
- Grilled Pineapple with Lime Dip 4.5/5 (52 Votes)
- LEMON PIE WITH COOKIE CRUST 4.5/5 (56 Votes)