Makeover Grandma's Strawberry Pie
This is not your traditional strawberry pie.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 to 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 package (.3-ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add oil, then buttermilk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
Between two sheets of lightly floured waxed paper, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.
Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned (cover edges with foil during the last few minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Cool on a wire rack.
For filling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Place strawberries in a large bowl. Add gelatin mixture; gently toss to coat. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whipped topping.
Yield: 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Panera Tomato Basil Bread 3.8/5 (259 Votes)
- Baked Lobster & Brie Dip 4.3/5 (60 Votes)
- whole roasted cauliflower with a... 4.4/5 (52 Votes)
- Pineapple Scones 4.1/5 (96 Votes)
- Apple Cinnamon Kringle 4.6/5 (39 Votes)
- Cranberry White Chocolate Almond... 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- Strawberry White Chocolate Trifle 4.5/5 (48 Votes)