Four Cheese Sausage Rigatoni
Fresh basil and mozzarella, goat cheese, ricotta, tomatoes, garlic, and sausage combine to make this hearty baked pasta dish, just in time for the fall season.
- 1 (16-ounce) package rigatoni pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in purée
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) carton whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 (4-ounce) log fresh goat cheese, softened
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Fresh basil, torn, optional
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a 6-quart stockpot, cook rigatoni according to package directions. Drain; transfer to a bowl.
In same stockpot, cook and crumble sausage with red pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add cream; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat until sauce thickens slightly, 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile, combine ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan, goat cheese, egg and seasonings.
Stir rigatoni into meat sauce. Spread 3 cups into each of two greased 11x7-inch baking dishes. Top each with half of cheese mixture, then half of remaining pasta mixture.
Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until cheeses are melted, about 5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with basil.
Freeze option: Prepare casseroles without mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; freeze cheeses separately in resealable plastic freezer bags. Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casseroles as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. If desired, sprinkle with basil.
You'll also love
- Harvard Beets 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Prosciutto and Grape Grilled Cheese 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Rack of Lamb with Mint and Capers 5/5 (3 Votes)
- French Hamburgers 4.1/5 (68 Votes)
- Spinach, Tomato & Goat Cheese... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Herbed Ricotta Pasta with Corn and... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Kevin's Famous Macaroni and Cheese 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- Gnocchi Breakfast Scramble 4.6/5 (26 Votes)