Butternut Squash Barley Risotto
Barley risotta is prepared with butternut squash mixed in for a side dish with all of the flavors of fall.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 (32-ounce) container vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small butternut squash (1 1/2 lbs), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/4 cups vegan parm
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in the barley and the vegetable broth; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the squash, cover the pot and cook until tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook about 2 minutes. Garnish with the cheese.
You'll also love
- Scalloped Sweet Pototoes 4.7/5 (27 Votes)
- Raspberry Cheesecake Mousse 4.7/5 (27 Votes)
- Paleo Egg Quiche Muffins 4.4/5 (49 Votes)
- 7 Day Diet Fat Burning Cabbage... 4.3/5 (63 Votes)
- Barayaki 3.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Country Style Barbecue... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Green Bean Casserole 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna 5/5 (3 Votes)