Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Sausage
Crisped, succulent Italian sausage adds loads of flavor to this reinvented version of a holiday staple.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 pounds green beans
- 6 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 cup 2-percent milk
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 bunch spinach
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from womansday.com
Heat oven to 375˚F. Oil a 2-quart baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the beans and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onion, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the cream cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes; stir in the lemon zest and toss with the green beans.
Fold in the spinach and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the sausage mixture and bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Bok Choy and Pear Salad 3.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Date & Raisin Bars 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Green Beans with Chipotle Butter 3.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Fudge 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Wiener Schnitzel in an Air Fryer 3.8/5 (47 Votes)
- Crock Pot Cabbage, Potatoes &... 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Blueberry Wild Rice Salad 3.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Chili-Orange Shrimp with Broccoli... 4/5 (6 Votes)