Crispy Root Vegetable Latkes with Beet Purée
Beet purée is a delicious alternative to applesauce for these root vegetable latkes, made from sweet potato, baking potato, and parsnip. Perfect little bites to start any meal, these appetizers are a scrumptious way to celebrate at any holiday gathering or dinner party.
- 2 cups grated peeled sweet potato
- 2 cups grated peeled baking potato
- 1 cup grated peeled parsnip
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour, about 2/3 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill (optional)
- 1 cup chopped, peeled apple
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package precooked red beets, drained
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Place first 3 ingredients on paper towels; squeeze until barely moist. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, eggs, and onion in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Add potato mixture; beat with a mixer at low speed until combined.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil; swirl. Heap 3 tablespoons potato mixture into pan to form a patty; flatten slightly. Repeat procedure 5 times to form 6 patties. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 6 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place latkes on a baking sheet; keep warm in oven. Repeat procedure twice with remaining oil and potato mixture to yield 18 latkes total. Sprinkle latkes with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Garnish with dill, if desired.
Combine apple and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Serve with latkes.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Vanilla Tapioca Pudding 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Strawberry Basil Sangria 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Popeye's Red Beans & Rice 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Olive Garden Salad Dressing 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet Corn Cake 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Doritos Taco Salad 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Oreo Lasagna 4.5/5 (25 Votes)