Mashed Potatoes with Crispy Shallots
Mashed potatoes with crispy shallot potatoes is delicious and always a perfect side dish for the holidays.
- 6 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 cups canola oil
- 6 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, unsalted
- Kosher salt
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a large pot, cover the quartered potatoes and garlic cloves with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the canola oil until shimmering. Add the shallots in a single layer and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until they are golden, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels to drain.
Drain the potatoes and garlic in a colander, shaking out the excess water. Add the half-and-half and butter to the pot and heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Press the potatoes and garlic through a ricer into the pot and season with salt. Stir and cook over moderate heat until very hot. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a bowl.
Just before serving, sprinkle the shallots with salt and garnish the potatoes with the shallots.
You'll also love
- One Pot Andouille Sausage Pasta 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Persimmon Bread 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Fresh Blueberry Jam 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Mistletoe Martini 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Puff Pastries with Russian Tuna... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Holiday Pumpkin Bread 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Herbed Tomato Tart 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Barbecue Bowls 4.3/5 (9 Votes)