Paleo Apple Pie
Just because you are eating paleo healthy doesn't mean you can't enjoy a piece of warm apple pie! This crust is easy to make with almond and chia flour. Make sure to take the time to cool the crust before baking.
- 4 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons chia flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted so that it's liquid
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 medium apples, peeled and diced (granny smith or honeycrisp)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 75mins
MAKE THE DOUGH:
Mix the almond flour, chia flour, baking soda and salt together. Add the egg, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Knead into a dough.
Take half the dough and place between two pieces of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin or pizza roller, roll the dough into a large circle so that it'll fill a 9-inch pie pan.
Peel off top parchment paper and carefully flip the rolled dough into the pie pan. Gently peel off the other piece of parchment paper and push down into the pie pan forming the pie crust. Fill up any holes or cracks with small pieces of dough. Trim the excess pastry.
Take the remaining half of the dough and roll into a rough rectangle and cut into 8 one-inch wide strips. Place the dough into the refrigerator.
MAKE THE FILLING:
Melt the coconut oil in a sauce pan on medium heat.Add the honey, apples, and spices. Stir the mixture to cover the apples. Stir in the coconut flour and mix well.
Stir in the vanilla extract and turn off the heat. Cool for 10 minutes.
MAKE THE PIE:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Spoon the apple mixture into the cooled pie crust. Cover the pie with the strips of pastry, creating the lattice. Press a fork along the edge to push the pastry down.
Bake for 25 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
You'll also love
- Salmon Croquettes with Dill Sauce 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Pinto Bean Stew with... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Spaghetti with Quick Turkey Chili 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Bacon, Oatmeal, and Raisin Cookies 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Chile-Lime Pork 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Northwest Roasted Halibut 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Winter-White Fruit Cake 4.3/5 (6 Votes)