Sausage, Kale & Lentil Soup
This soup turned out to be very hearty and flavorful, especially with my Parmesan Skillet rolls!
The rolls are here:
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 can petit cut tomatoes
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 4 Italian sausage links
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 small bunch kale, chopped
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- kosher salt & pepper
- 1 small bag dried lentils (red or green)
- (optional) Garnish of fresh Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
In a large pot, add about 1 Tbsp olive oil to medium high heat.
Add the celery, onion and carrots and saute until tender (2-3 minute)
Season with kosher salt & pepper, to taste.
Add the garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds
Add the dried thyme, stir and set aside.
Add a little more olive oil to the empty pot. Remove the sausage from the casing and cook until no longer pin. Add the cayenne pepper, unless you bought spicy Italian sausage.
Return the cooked vegetables to the pot and add tomato paste and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
Add the chicken stock and rinsed lentils and bring to a simmer.
Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Add the chopped kale and cook for 1-2 minutes (the kale will lose it's bright green color after cooking for a while).
Taste, and add more salt if desired.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Crack Cake 4.2/5 (51 Votes)
- Auntie Vila's Keke Pua'a (Samoan... 4.2/5 (63 Votes)
- Oven Fried Pork Chops 3.9/5 (155 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Crisp 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Bourbon Onion Soup 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Banana-Filled Caramel-Chocolate... 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Creamy Stove Top Lemon Chicken 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Holiday Sausage Stuffing 4.4/5 (33 Votes)