Roasted Acorn Squash with Mushrooms, Peppers & Goat Cheese
All your favorite veggies combined together!
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cabbage (core removed before slicing)
- 1 cup 1/4-inch-sliced sweet onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced in 1/4-inch julienne
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced in 1/4-inch julienne
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, for garnish, optional
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 70mins
For the acorn squash: Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Trim the tops and bottoms off the squash. Cut in half horizontally so the cut-ends will keep the pieces flat. Clean the inside of the squash. Separate the seeds from the membranes and rinse well. Dry the seeds with a paper towel and set aside.
Place the squash cut-side up on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Place the seeds on a separate baking sheet or foil. Roast the squash 30 minutes. Roast the seeds at the same time, checking and moving them around after 10 minutes and again after 20 minutes. Depending on the size of the seeds, they may be done after 20 minutes, or up to 30 minutes. Sprinkle the seeds with the remaining salt, and set aside with the squash.
Set a large saute pan over high heat and add the butter. When melted, add the cabbage, onions, peppers, sprinkle with salt and pepper and gently toss to combine. Allow the cabbage to wilt down, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and toss to combine. Saute 2 to 4 minutes longer, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
For assembling: Preheat the broiler to low. Fill the roasted acorn squash halves with the filling. Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese over the top, then top with the roasted squash seeds. Broil just until the cheese is warm. Garnish with a small amount of Italian parsley, if using, and serve.
You'll also love
- Pear & Cranberry Pie 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Greek Salad with Feta and Tuna 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Couscous Salad with Grilled... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Gluten Free Oatmeal Cherry Cookies 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Pork and Pink Bean Soup with Corn... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Steak with Charred Corn Salsa 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Makeover Noodle Kugel Recipe 4.3/5 (6 Votes)