Creamy Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti
- 29 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 long hot pepper – chopped with seeds
- 1 sweet onion – diced
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley – chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 8 oz. package of cream cheese
- 1 tsp. Vegeta chicken stock powder plus 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. capers
- 3-4 tbs. red wine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 lb. sliced salami – slice into strips
- 3-4 slices provolone – slice into strips
- Romano cheese for grating
- 2-3 tbs. olive oil and more for drizzling
- 2 lbs. of your favorite spaghetti
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.com
Heat a large frying pan with 2 tbs. of olive oil. Add the hot pepper, onion, parsley and garlic; sauté until the onions are softened and the garlic is fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes; the seasonings and simmer on a low heat.
In a food processor combine the cream cheese, capers plus a tbs. of caper juice, Vegeta chicken stock powder mix with a ¼ cup of water, red wine and the juice of 1 lemon. Process this mixture until smooth.
Add the cream cheese mixture to the sauce and toss. Turn the heat very low.
Prepare the spaghetti as directed while preparing the sauce and cream cheese mixture.
Plate the spaghetti in a serving platter. Drizzle a little olive oil; add the sliced provolone and salami and toss with the creamy sauce.
Serve with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.