Zucchini Bread with Pistachios & Orange
This unusual whole wheat zucchini bread dazzles with orange zest and roasted pistachios. Nutmeg and cardamom punch it up with a little extra spice.
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, shredded
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Adapted from cooksillustrated.com
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 325°F. Grease 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
Place zucchini in center of dish towel. Gather ends together and twist tightly to drain as much liquid as possible, discarding liquid (1/2 to 2/3 cup).
Whisk brown sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, and orange zest together in medium bowl. Fold in drained zucchini.
Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and cardamom together in large bowl.
Fold in zucchini mixture until just incorporated. Fold in pistachios.
Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Bake until top bounces back when gently pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with few moist crumbs attached, 65 to 75 minutes.
Let bread cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Serve.
You'll also love
- Outer Banks Fresh Tuna Salad 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Lemon Pudding Mochi 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Beef Ramen Noodle Soup with Choy... 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- (Key) Lime Bars 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Italian Milk-Braised Pork Roast... 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Granola Bars 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Tomato and Parsley Soup 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Asparagus, Bacon and Cheese Strata... 4.8/5 (10 Votes)