Asparagus, Bacon and Cheese Strata W. W. Points Plus 5
Stratas make an excellent breakfast or brunch, and they give you the perfect opportunity to use up leftover vegetables, lean meats and day-old bread
- 2 tsp olive oil, or vegetable oil
- 4 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced
- 2 cup(s) uncooked asparagus, fresh, or frozen and thawed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 6 slice(s) reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 4 large egg(s)
- 5 large egg white(s)
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup(s) low fat shredded cheddar cheese, about 4 oz
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 41mins
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion and asparagus; sauté until vegetable are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
Off heat, coat same skillet with cooking spray. Arrange bread slices tightly in bottom of skillet.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and allow milk mixture to soak in entirely (like when you make French toast). Sprinkle bread with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
Place skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently to promote even cooking, until almost cooked through to the top, about 4 or 5 minutes.
Place skillet under broiler to set eggs, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from broiler; top with bacon-vegetable mixture, cheddar cheese and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Place skillet under broiler again until cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
You'll also love
- Caribbean Spiced Lamb Stew 4.2/5 (42 Votes)
- roasted tomato basil soup with... 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Lemon-Cream Cheese Crescent Ring 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin and Mushroom Stew... 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Shrimp, Corn and Bacon Chowder 4.7/5 (16 Votes)
- Grilled Turkey, Bacon, Radicchio &... 4.7/5 (16 Votes)
- Fried Egg, Asparagus Crimini... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)