Granola Bars are the perfect on-the-go snack for you to keep in your kids' backpacks, for you to keep in your work-bag, or to just have on hand any time hunger hits and you need a quick fuel-up. Filled with the dried fruits of your choice, dark brown sugar, allergy-fighting honey, and fragrant vanilla extract, these granola bars are perfect for a picnic or any time you go for a hike.
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300°F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Per Serving: Calories: 203; Total Fat: 7 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 grams; Protein: 5 grams; Total carbohydrates: 32 grams; Sugar: 20 grams Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 4 milligrams; Sodium: 63 milligrams
You'll also love
- Native American Pueblo Feast Day... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Red Curry Chicken Wings 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Soul Food Seasoning 4.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Fried Plantains with Sweet Heat 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Sausage and Cheese Crescent Squares 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Lemon Bars 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Homemade Chewy Granola Bars 4.7/5 (7 Votes)