Potato and Corn Mash, Pioneer Woman Cook's Style
This Potato Corn Mash is a delicious way to change the way that you serve potatoes. The red pepper, garlic and onion, added to Yukon Gold potatoes and corn gives a wonderful texture and flavor. Garnished with fresh chopped chives, this recipe (from Pioneer Woman Cooks) is not only tasty, but very colorful.
- 3 pound potatoes (I prefer Yukon Gold)
- 3 cans corn, divided
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, grated or finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Butter (or cream cheese)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Milk or heavy cream (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, depending on how thick you like your potatoes)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
You can easily adjust the quantities to feed any number of people, though.
Boil the potatoes for about 25 to 30 minutes. Until very tender.
Drain, then put back into the pot and leave on low heat; this allows extra water to evaporate so you don't get soupy and watery potatoes.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet and cook the onions, bell pepper and garlic, over low heat until they’re soft and sweet. This will take about 15 minutes.
Add a 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or cream cheese, or spoon in some sour cream, and add 2 cans of the corn. Start mashing. You don’t want to completely mash the corn; you just want to break it up a little so it blends in with the potatoes.
I like my mashed potatoes rather thick, so I added 1/2 a cup of hot milk or heavy cream. Feel free to add an additional splash of milk. Or cream. Or cream cheese.
Keep mashing until the potatoes are nice and creamy.
Add the rest of the corn and the onion/pepper mix and stir it in.
Season with a generous amount of black pepper and some salt—or Lawry’s seasoned salt. Put the corn mash back on the stove for a few moments to let the mash heat through.
Garnish with fresh chives and it's ready to serve and enjoy.
You'll also love
- Cowboy Corn Dip 3.8/5 (218 Votes)
- Tennessee Honey Corn Pudding 4.2/5 (130 Votes)
- Rigatoni al Forno with Gorgonzola... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Green Bean Casserole 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Zucchini Cornbread Casserole 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Marie Callender's Potato Cheese... 4/5 (16 Votes)
- Beef and Mozzarella Baked Rotini 3.9/5 (26 Votes)
- Roasted Whole Chicken and... 4.1/5 (23 Votes)