Potato Leek Soup
This soup is thick, and hearty, and very comforting. A touch of heavy cream balances savory, creamy and hearty. A splash of white wine is a gourmet touch.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 6 potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine (Optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
In a Dutch oven, melt butter with olive oil on medium heat. Add leeks and onions. Stir until onions are translucent and starting to brown.
Add garlic and continue to stir for 1 minute.
Add thyme and potatoes and stir until evenly mixed.
Pour stock over the mixture until vegetables are covered. Add wine, if desired. Cover and increase heat to maximum until boiling.
Reduce heat to medium and let simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low and mash about half (or more) of the potatoes using a potato masher or immersion blender, until desired texture is reached. You can purée the soup, in batches, in a blender if you prefer a creamier texture.
Add cream, Parmesan, salt and pepper and stir. Simmer for another 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Creamy Cheddar Cheese Soup with... 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Dried Banana Chips 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Djuvec - Serbian Casserole 4/5 (20 Votes)
- Lasagne - Barefoot Contessa's... 3.6/5 (63 Votes)
- Portuguese-style Shrimp in Garlic 3.8/5 (49 Votes)
- Lemon-Glazed Sweet Potatoes 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- African Sweet Potato Stew 4.2/5 (11 Votes)