Djuvec - Serbian Casserole
Djuvec is a very popular casserole in Serbia that features a variety of vegetable and your choice of meat. Can easily omit the meat for a vegetarian dish. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 pounds meat, cut into medium pieces (1 kg), can use chicken or beef
- 1 1/2 pounds onion (3/4 kg)
- 3 1/4 pounds tomatoes (1 1/2 kg)
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- 1 green pepper
- 2 zucchini
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup rice (60 g)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 130mins
Cut the tomatoes into slices. Chop the onions into about 1/4" pieces. Peel and cut the eggplant, green pepper and zucchini into medium size pieces.
Mix the onions, eggplant, green pepper, zucchini and celery in a large bowl with the oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
Take a casserole dish and layer the ingredients in this order. First place half of the sliced tomatoes. Top with 1/2 of the vegetable mixture. Add the the meat cut into bite size pieces. Then add the other half of the vegetables, the uncooked rice and top with the remainder of the tomato slices.
Pour the water over the casserole. Cover and bake in a 350°F oven for 2 hours. Serve from the dish in which you prepared the djuvec.
It can be re-heated .
You'll also love
- HCG Diet (P2/3) Fish Stew 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Classic New York Style Cherry... 3.9/5 (19 Votes)
- Lemon Salmon - Instant Pot 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Butternut Squash Bisque With Crab 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Ratatouille-Stuffed Shells 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Chicarrones de Pollo (Puerto Rican... 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Eggplant Creole Appetizer with... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Tuna Noodle Casserole with Potato... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)