Pioneer Woman Perfect Potato Soup
This creamy, hearty potato soup is perfect on a cool evening with the whole family.
- 6 slices thin bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 3 whole carrots, scrubbed clean and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 whole small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun spice mix
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup grated cheese of your choice
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from thepioneerwoman.com
Add bacon pieces to a soup pot over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside. Pour off most of the grease, but do not clean the pot.
Return to medium-high heat and add the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or so, then add the diced potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper, and Cajun spice.
Pour in the broth and bring it to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to get tender. Whisk together the flour and the milk, then pour into the soup and allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove half to 2/3 the soup and blend in batches in a blender/food process until completely smooth, being careful not to splash yourself with the hot soup (if possible, allow soup to cool slightly before blending). Pour it back into the soup pot and stir to combine.
Let it heat back up as you taste for seasonings, adding more of what it needs. Stir in cream, then stir in parsley, reserving a little for garnish.
Serve in bowls garnished with parsley, grated cheese and crisp bacon pieces.
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Sour Cream & Bacon... 4.4/5 (331 Votes)
- Melon Mojito Salsa 4.5/5 (216 Votes)
- Easiest Ever Chicken and Dumplings 3.8/5 (227 Votes)
- Outback Steakhouse - Alice Springs... 4.5/5 (88 Votes)
- Cheeseburger Soup - Low Carb 4.5/5 (62 Votes)
- Homemade Cheesy Potatoes 4.5/5 (48 Votes)
- Outback Alice Springs Chicken 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Hamburger Potato Casserole 4.1/5 (90 Votes)
- Moroccan-Inspired Lamb Hash 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Mango... 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Broccoli & White Cheddar Mac &... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Jim's Cheese Soup 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Fabio Viviani's Italian Wedding... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Mulligatawny Soup - Pioneer Woman 3.9/5 (47 Votes)
- Schwarties Hash Brown 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- One-Pot Cheeseburger Casserole 3.8/5 (24 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ham, Macaroni and Cheese 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- 2 Minute Peanut Sauce (Soy Free) 4/5 (32 Votes)
- Lambert's Cafe Rolls 3.9/5 (23 Votes)
- Jay's Marine Grill Onion Popovers 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie - Weight Watchers 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Desserts - Banana Split Pie... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- French Apple Pie with Icing 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Low-Carb Poppy Seed Dressing 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Dominos Cali Chicken Bacon Ranch... 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Paula Deen's Crockpot Potato Soup 3.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Pork Roast (Frozen in crock pot) 3.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Veal Pot Roast Recipe 0/5 (0 Votes)