Healthy Baked Sweet Potatoes
Although Americans often refer to sweet potatoes as yams, true yams are rarely available in U.S. supermarkets. Actually, sweet potatoes are far more nutritious than true yams, which are starchy vegetables from Africa and Asia. Baked sweet potatoes are high in vitamins A and C, as well as fiber. If you're looking for nutritious food that's low in fat and cholesterol, sweet potatoes are a good choice. A medium-sized baked sweet potato cooked in its skin without added salt has 105 calories, 0 g of fat and 0 mg of cholesterol.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed but unpeeled
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from realsimple.com
Heat oven to 400° F.
Pierce each sweet potato several times with the tines of a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
Bake until tender, about 45 to 60 minutes, (larger sweet potatoes may take longer). Make a slit in the top of each sweet potato, top as desired.
You'll also love
- Baked Mashed Potato Cakes 4.1/5 (58 Votes)
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Champagne Jello Shots 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Two Bean Cornmeal Casserole 4.8/5 (11 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker au Gratin Potatoes &... 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with... 4.4/5 (41 Votes)