Florence Mama's Candied Yams
Freshly sliced orange gives this candied yam recipe a citrusy twist to this traditional winter recipe. This dish will quickly become the family's favorite side dish on any holiday spread or just make it on any weeknight for a comfort food classic everyone will love. Exploding with the vibrant flavors of butter, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, this recipe is sure to please any one who tries it.
- 3-pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and sliced crosswise in 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 orange, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 cup unsalted butter, 2 sticks
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. In an ungreased 2-quart baking dish place sweet potato slices, overlapping slightly and covering the dish. In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook until sugar is dissolved, then add the orange slices. Pour the mixture over the potatoes, covering the entire surface.
Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake 40 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until the top is golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Peanut Butter Brownie Pizza 4.4/5 (103 Votes)
- Pumpkin Scones 4.5/5 (92 Votes)
- Creamy Seafood Stuffed Shells 4.5/5 (88 Votes)
- Apple Rum Bread Pudding with... 4.4/5 (102 Votes)
- Banana Pudding Bark 4.4/5 (97 Votes)
- American Potato Salad 4.6/5 (85 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes 4.4/5 (97 Votes)
- Christmas Eve Creamy Slow-Cooker... 4/5 (130 Votes)