Hearty Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
With Italian sausage and great northern beans, here is a butternut squash soup that can be the hearty centerpiece of your meal. Just add salad and bread!
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn, divided
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heavy whipping cream and minced fresh parsley (Optional)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a stockpot, cook sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat 9 to 11 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; discard drippings.
Add squash, 1 1/2 cups corn, water and chicken base to same pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sausage mixture and remaining corn; heat through. If desired, drizzle servings with cream and sprinkle with parsley.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Bacon-Ranch Chicken... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Orange Pineapple Punch 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Molasses Pork Tenderloin with Red... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Garlic Lime Chicken... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Classic Karo Pumpkin Pie with... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Orecchiette with Broccoli,... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Sourdough Baguettes - Sandwich... 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Pumpkin Fudge Chocolate Chip... 4.5/5 (14 Votes)