Camotes Enmielado - Candied Sweet Potatoes
Try serving this delicious dish with its own syrup and drizzled with a little sweetened condensed milk. This recipe can also be made with pumpkins or squash instead of the sweet potatoes. You can eat this dish warm or you can let it cool, refrigerate it and eat it cold. It will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for a week.
- 8 cups water
- 8 ounces piloncillo (unrefined sugar) or 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole anise stars
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch slices
- Milk or sweetened condensed milk for garnish
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
In 3-quart saucepan, place water, piloncillo, cinnamon sticks, anise stars and whole cloves. Heat to boiling, stirring with wooden spoon until piloncillo dissolves.
After 5 minutes, add sweet potatoes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
Remove and discard cinnamon sticks, anise stars and cloves. Reserve syrup.
Serve sweet potatoes topped with reserved warm sweet syrup. Garnish with milk.
Piloncillo is Mexican dark sugar that is unrefined and has a high molasses content. You can find it at specialty supermarkets that carry Mexican products. Brown sugar can be substituted for the piloncillo.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Bagels 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- SweeTango Apple, Bacon & Cheddar... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Grilled Corn with Smokehouse Maple... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Butternut Squash Crostini 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Louisiana Cheese Fries with... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Easy Cranberry & Apple Cake (Ina... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Slow Cooked Roast & Gravy with... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes 4.4/5 (11 Votes)