Creme de Menthe Layer Cake
This Creme de Menthe Layer Cake can be made in a layer cake or as a sheet cake. This cake recipe is filled with the minty-green flavors of creme de menthe and sweet, sweet chocolate for a rich and refreshing dessert recipe that is delicious any time of the year, but especially works well during the winter holiday season or even St. Patrick's Day. Serve this recipe at your next dinner party, birthday party, or BBQ.
- 1 package white cake mix
- all ingredients from the package white cake mix, but substitute 1/4 cup Creme de Menthe instead of water
- 1/4 about 1/4 cup mini chocolate morsels, optional
- 1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- whipped cream frosting or substitute Cool Whip with the Creme de Menthe
- 1-pint heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons Creme De Menthe or 1/2 teaspoon mint extract, optional
- 2 to 3 drops of green food coloring, optional
- chocolate curls or sprinkles or mini chocolate chips, optional garnish
- CHOCOLATE CURLS, OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- 3 squares of semisweet Baker's chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 85mins
Adapted from mommyapolis.com
Prepare a white cake mix as directed on package except replace 1/4 cup of the water with 1/4 cup of Creme De Menthe. If Creme De Menthe is not green add 2 or 3 drops of green food coloring to the batter. If your Creme De Menthe is green then you would not need the food coloring. If you don’t want to use Creme De Menthe, make the cake as directed on the package and in addition add a teaspoon of mint extract to the batter with 2 or 3 drops of green food coloring. The alcohol does bake off so it’s safe for little ones.
Prepare either 2 (8 or 9-inch) round cake pans that will yield 2 layers, or 1 (9x13-inch) rectangular cake. Optional: add mini chocolate morsels to the batter just prior to putting in the oven and lightly swirl in. Bake according to package directions, and let cool.
Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chips are completely melted. Off the heat, add the corn syrup, and vanilla, then allow the chocolate mixture to cool to room temperature.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the chocolate mixture and softened butter on medium speed for a few minutes, until it’s thickened. Spread the frosting evenly between the layers of the cake as well as on the top of the cake. Let it set in the refrigerator.
WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING:
Mix the heavy cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar, creme de menthe (if using), and food coloring. Continue whipping the cream until it is thick. Spread evenly on top of the entire cake.
Garnish with chocolate sprinkles, more mini chocolate chips, or chocolate curls if you'd like.
To make the chocolate curls melt 3 squares of semi-sweet chocolate with 1 tablespoon of shortening. Spread the melted chocolate on a cookie sheet in a very thin, very, very thin layer on a cookie sheet. Pop it in the freezer for a couple minutes and then use a spatula to make the curls, by slowly scraping pieces of the chocolate off of the pan so that they curl. If the chocolate is too cold it will not curl so just give it a couple seconds.
Keep your finished cake in the refrigerator when not serving. The frosting and the whipped cream frosting can be made up to 2 or 3 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. The finished cake can be made up to 5 hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This cake should not be left out for longer than 30 to 45 minutes.
You'll also love
- Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake 3.8/5 (311 Votes)
- Triple Chocolate Sheet Cake 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- Jalapeno Poppers Snack 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with... 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Crockpot Smoked Sausage & Hash... 4.1/5 (24 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Dark Chocolate... 4.3/5 (19 Votes)
- Smoked Brisket 4/5 (23 Votes)
- Shrimp & Corn Chowder 4.2/5 (20 Votes)