Max & Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup
This cheesy, spicy chicken tortilla soup makes a delicious and hearty meal, or an amazing start to a Mexican feast! Your whole family will love it, even picky kids.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta processed cheese food, cubed
- 10 ounces can Rotel tomatoes and chilies
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 to 6 flour tortillas
- Colby Jack cheese, shredded or Mexican blend cheese, shredded
Adapted from recipes.robbiehaf.com
In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
Slowly whisk in small amounts of chicken broth at a time, then whisk in milk.
Reduce heat to low and stir in Velveeta cubes; stir until melted.
Stir in Rotel, chicken, and spices.
Once soup is heated through, it is ready to serve at this point. However, if you wish to make tortilla strips, it can sit over low heat while they are made. Stir the soup occasionally.
Spoon a ladleful of soup into a bowl, add a handful of shredded cheese, then spoon another ladleful of soup over cheese. Sprinkle tortilla strips over top. Repeat for remaining servings.
If you want to save a lot of time, use crumbled tortilla chips instead of tortilla strips. As a substitute for Rotel, you can use 1 1/2 cups of salsa. Spiciness can be easily adjusted by using spicy Rotel or salsa and/or adding cayenne pepper to the soup.
You'll also love
- Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce 3.9/5 (202 Votes)
- Quick & Easy Teriyaki Sauce 4.4/5 (102 Votes)
- Easy Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken 4.4/5 (101 Votes)
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls 4.4/5 (101 Votes)
- Sautéed Chicken with Spinach &... 4/5 (135 Votes)
- Olive Garden Chicken Alfredo 4.2/5 (115 Votes)
- Outback Steakhouse™ Potato Soup... 4/5 (134 Votes)
- Olive Garden Chicken Scampi 4/5 (132 Votes)