Outback Steakhouse™ Potato Soup Recipe
Loaded baked potato soup is a hearty meal. Serve with a side green salad and some crusty bread to make it a full dinner.
- 4 large potatoes, or up to 8 small potatoes
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Celery salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 to 6 pieces cooked bacon, chopped (save the grease and use with the butter)
- Chopped chives, as desired
- 2 cups Monterrey Jack / Cheddar cheese blend, shredded
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 120mins
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Scrub the skins of the potatoes and dry with a towel. Pierce each potato several times with a fork. Place a small amount of oil in your hands and coat each potato. Sprinkle each potato with Kosher salt.
Place in the oven, directly on the rack (no cookie sheet and NO foil). Bake at 350°F for approximately 60 minutes. Let the potatoes cool a little so they are easier to handle.
In a large soup pot, melt the butter over a low to medium heat, being careful not to burn it. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the flour and stir while it cooks for about 3 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, basil and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring often with a wire whisk. Gradually add the heavy cream until you’ve reached the proper consistency. Chop the potatoes into bite sized cubes and add to the soup.
Simmer for approximately 5 minutes to bring the potatoes to temperature.
Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish with chopped bacon, chives and the cheese blend.
You'll also love
- Banana Pudding Bark 4.4/5 (100 Votes)
- Hershey's Extreme Chocolate Cake 4.3/5 (110 Votes)
- American Potato Salad 4.6/5 (85 Votes)
- Oooey Gooey Potatoes 4.5/5 (85 Votes)
- Old Fisherman’s Grotto Monterey... 3.7/5 (293 Votes)
- Yummy Cheese Soup 4.5/5 (89 Votes)
- O'Charley's Loaded Potato Soup 3.9/5 (236 Votes)