Pear & Blue Cheese Flatbread
The classic combination of pears, walnuts, and blue cheese isn't just for salad, when combined in this flatbread recipe, this classic combination makes a scrumptious appetizer any time of the year. Toss the same ingredients onto purchased whole-wheat pizza dough and make your own gourmet flatbread at home. Pear and Blue Cheese Flatbread also makes a great lunch when paired with a lightly dressed side salad.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 20 ounces prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 ripe but firm pears, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled blue cheese
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from recipe.com
Place oven rack in the lowest position; preheat to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden, 5 to 8 minutes more.
Meanwhile, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the baking sheet. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake until puffed and lightly crisped on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir vinegar, sage, and pepper into the onions. Spread on the crust and top with pears, walnuts, and cheese. Bake on the bottom rack until the crust is crispy and golden and the cheese is melted, 11 to 13 minutes. Slice and serve.
You'll also love
- Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Homemade Macaroni & Cheese 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Cherry Cream French Toast with... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Spiced Pumpkin Butter 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Sour apple vodka cupcakes 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Cranberry & Orange Pavlovas 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Roasted Rosemary Shrimp with... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Cajun Andouille 4.3/5 (28 Votes)