Andouille is the Cajun smoked sausage so famous nationally today. It is interesting to note that the finest andouille in France comes from the Brittany and Normandy areas. It is believed that over half of the Arcadian exiles that came to Louisiana in 1755 were originally from these coastal regions.
- 3 pounds boned pork butt
- 1 pound pork back fat
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3/4 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/3 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Morton Tender Quick Home Meat Cure
- 1/2 cup ice water
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 180mins
Grind all of the pork and fat through a one-quarter inch or three-eighths inch plate. Refrigerate the ground pork until well chilled, ideally 32 to 34 degrees Fahrenheit.
When the meat is chilled, mix the water with the Morton cure. Then thoroughly mix the remaining ingredients with the water/cure mixture. Then thoroughly mix the water/cure/spice mixture with the ground pork. Immediately stuff into 1½ inch hog casings.
Hang the sausage in your smoker. Start smoking at 135°F with the vents slightly open for 20 minutes to dry the casings. Then increase the temperature to 165 degrees and continue smoking, applying medium smoke until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 155°F. Immediately remove the sausage from the smoker and shower the sausage with water until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 110°F. Allow the sausage to dry for 10 to 15 minutes and immediately package and place in the refrigerator or freezer.
You'll also love
- Thai-Style Black Bean Salad Recipe 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Taco John's Potato Ole's Seasoning 3.8/5 (92 Votes)
- Creamy Lemon Butter Chicken 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Coconut Flour Pancakes 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Graham Crackers, Homemade 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Mac & Cheese Cups 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Shake n' Shimmy Pork Chops 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Loaded Turkey Santa Fe Baked... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)