Blueberry Meyer Lemon Muffins with Streusel Crumb Topping
Meyer lemon and blueberry go beautifully here. If you can’t find any Meyer lemons, try mixing some lemon and orange zest.
- 8 ounces all purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 2 Meyer lemons
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 extra large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 ounces flour (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (cinnamon goes beautifully with blueberries)
Adapted from fifteenspatulas.com
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
In the meantime, make the streusel crumb topping. Dice up the butter into cubes, and work all of the ingredients together with your fingertips, until it forms a bunch of crumbs and clumps. Chill in the fridge until ready for use.
Back to the muffins: Whisk to combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and meyer lemon zest. Take a tbsp of the mixture and toss it with the blueberries. This ensures that the blueberries stay suspended throughout the muffin, instead of falling to the bottom.
Place the vegetable oil, egg, and milk in a bowl, and whisk to combine. Add that to the flour mixture, and remember, leave lots of lumps. If there aren't any lumps whenever you are using the muffin method of baking, you have overmixed and invited more gluten (and toughness) to the party than was welcome. Don't worry, a few lumps will bake out.
Dump in the blueberries, and fold them in gently. Use a disher to portion them out into the muffin cups, and sprinkle the crumb topping all over the tops.
Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with no wet batter. Let them cool, and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Salmon Patties 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Strawberry Scones 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Cherry Cream Cheese Bake 4.2/5 (65 Votes)
- Bethenny's Boo Boo Banana Bread 4.4/5 (47 Votes)
- Chicken Trinidad with Orange Rum... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chocolate Banana Bread 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Icing 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Jicama, Citrus and Watercress Salad 5/5 (2 Votes)