Coconut-Lime Chicken Stew with Rice
This stew can be stretched to last a few meals. If, on reheating, it remains too thick, add a splash of stock or water to loosen to the desired consistency. A simple salad of shredded romaine lettuce tossed with cider vinegar and oil makes a refreshing accompaniment.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 chicken breasts, bone-in, skinless
- 3 cups (750 mL) onions, coarsely chopped
- 11/2 cups (375 mL) red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili flakes, or to taste
- 4 cups (1 L) sweet potato, finely diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, or to taste
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 1 can (414-mL) coconut milk (light or regular)
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) jasmine or basmati rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- Zest and juice of 2 juicy limes
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
1 In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, add chicken breasts and cook until well browned on both sides, about 15 minutes. Remove and set aside; the chicken does not need to be cooked through at this point.
2 To the same pot add onions, red pepper, garlic, ginger and chili flakes; sauté over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
3 To the pot add the browned chicken, sweet potato, salt and water. Bring to the boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through.
4 Remove chicken and let cool enough to handle. While chicken is cooling add coconut milk, 2 cups (500 mL) water and rice. Cook until rice is done, about 20 minutes.
5 Coarsely chop or shred chicken and add to pot along with cilantro, peas, zest and juice. Serve.
You'll also love
- Swiss Steak 3.9/5 (29 Votes)
- Baby Acapulco Chicken Tortilla Soup 3.8/5 (67 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice... 3.9/5 (28 Votes)
- BERRY LIME SUBLIME 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Key Lime No Cook Pie- Nellie &... 3.8/5 (40 Votes)
- Honey Garlic Chicken 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cashew Chicken - Pioneer Woman 3.2/5 (80 Votes)