One-Pot Chicken Bouillabaisse
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks and thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 fennel head, cored and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium cloves of garlic, 1 thinly sliced and 2 grated
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (28-oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock or store-bought low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Crusty bread, for serving
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add the chicken skin side-down and cook without moving until browned, about 4 minutes. Turn and lightly brown on second side, about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan to a large plate and set aside.
Add the onion, fennel and the sliced garlic to the pan and lower the heat to medium. Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan and stirring frequently until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add a cup of white wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 1 1/2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, breaking them apart in the pan with a spoon or potato masher, the chicken stock, potatoes, pinch of saffron, and bay leaf. Nestle the chicken back on top, cover, and cook until the potatoes and chicken are done, about 15 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, prepare the easy aïoli by whisking together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, olive oil, cayenne, and 2 grated garlic cloves in a small bowl. Divide chicken and sauce in bowls and serve with crusty bread and the mayonnaise.
You'll also love
- Chicken, Shrimp and Steak Stir Fry 3.8/5 (11 Votes)
- Chicken, Basil Pesto, Tomato, and... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Meatloaf with Turkey, Pork &... 3/5 (26 Votes)
- Cheese Puffs with Chicken Salad 4/5 (1 Votes)
- BBQ-Ranch Chicken Wings 4/5 (1 Votes)
- MUSSELS-SPICY TOMATO SAUCE from... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Spicy Oven Cornmeal-Fried Chicken 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Creamy Farmhouse Chicken and... 4/5 (1 Votes)