The secret of this swiss steak is thorough browning and slow cooking. Add minced garlic for some extra flavor. Serve with dinner rolls and a side of green beans.
- 2 to 3 pounds round steak, tenderized, cut into serving portions
- 3/4 cup flour
- 6 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 Large onions, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 140mins
Dredge meat with flour and seasonings; brown in hot fat over medium heat. You will probably need to add more oil until all of the meat has been browned.
Remove from pan and place in covered baking dish. Add onion rings, garlic and water mixed with Worcestershire sauce.
Put into 325°F oven for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until tender. Remove meat from baking dish and place in serving dish. At this point you can thicken up the gravy with some Wondra or flour roux.
If their isn't enough liquid after cooking about half the time, add more water with Worcestershire sauce added.
I also pour off the liquid and add some sour cream to the liquid then pour it back over the meat.
You'll also love
- Stove Top Swiss Steak 4.6/5 (43 Votes)
- Baby Acapulco Chicken Tortilla Soup 3.8/5 (62 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice... 3.8/5 (23 Votes)
- Corn Salsa 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Bacon Manhattan 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Simple & Perfect Beef Tenderloin -... 4/5 (13 Votes)
- Nihari 4/5 (7 Votes)
- Fried Cube Steak 3.5/5 (33 Votes)