Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
Jamaican brown stew chicken is a sweet, tangy, sticky caribbean chicken recipe that is made all the time in Jamaican homes and across the west indies.
- 1 pound whole chicken, chopped up
- 3 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
Season the chicken with black pepper, garlic powder, chopped garlic, chopped green onions, and soy sauce.
Place in refrigerator overnight.
Haven’t been able to find this sauce anywhere in Orlando, but was fortunate enough that my Uncle brought me a bottle.
If you do not plan on cooking chicken the following day then just place in airtight Ziploc bag and place in the freezer. I always do this along with curry chicken so when I need it, it’s there.
In a large rimmed skillet heat oil on medium high heat. Start frying the chicken in batches. Do not discard the marinade form the night before. We will use it at the end again.
Flip the chicken pieces so that all sides are cooked.
Once the first batch is finished browning, remove the chicken and place into a dutch pot. By removing the first batch of browned chicken and placing it in the dutch pot, all of the juices will start to run out of the chicken, which will be used to make the yummy gravy.
Continue browning the remaining chicken pieces and placing them into the dutch pot to drain.
Once all the chicken is cooked change spots on the stove top. Add the left over marinade of the chicken from the night before along with 2 cups of water. Allow the chicken to boil for 15 minutes.
Once you see the chicken almost finished cooking, add a little salt, sugar, and ketchup. Cover and let simmer.
It’s spinners time… love these.
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons water
Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl and stir until you have a stiff, smooth dough. Roll the pieces into cylinders, drop them into the simmering stew and boil.
Serve with rice, plantains, and veggies.
You'll also love
- Bacon, Cheddar, Chicken & Rice Bake 4.2/5 (68 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef Stew 4.4/5 (56 Votes)
- Baked Mozzarella Chicken Rolls 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Spicy Mango Chicken Stir Fry 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Catfish Stew 5/5 (1 Votes)
- "Ono" Chicken Long Rice * WW 4.4/5 (35 Votes)
- Beer Can Chicken with Cola... 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Three Ingredient Chicken 4.3/5 (47 Votes)
Review this recipe