Mock Apple Pie (no apples)
NO APPLES needed! Don't be skeptical, this retro recipe really does taste like apple pie!! Cheap to make too!
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used 1/2 teaspoon more)
- 2 1/2 cups roughly broken Ritz crackers (I used R.F.)
- 1 (9-inch) pastry pie crust, unbaked (I used frozen)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
In a heavy, 2-quart saucepan, stir together the sugar and cream of tarter; slowly whisk in the water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to medium/medium-low and simmer (slightly bubbling) for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove syrup from heat and whisk in lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice; set aside to cool. (I set the pot of syrup in a sink of ice and water until cool, stirring frequently.)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Meanwhile, place the broken crackers in the unbaked pie crust; then carefully, pour the cool syrup over the crackers. Dot top of pie with small cubes of butter, then sprinkle with apple pie spice.
Bake for 20 minutes.
While pie is baking, mix together all the Crumb Topping ingredients until crumbly.
After pie has baked for 20 minutes, remove it from oven and sprinkle with the crumb topping. Return to oven and continue baking another 15 to 20 minutes, until pie is set and golden brown. (If browning too fast, tent the pie with foil or reduce oven temp to 375°.)
Cool pie on wire rack.
Serve at room temperature or chilled with vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip.
You'll also love
- Peach-Mango Sunrise Poke Cake 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops & Sauerkraut 3.8/5 (109 Votes)
- Apple Peach Cobbler 4/5 (52 Votes)
- Easy German Pancakes 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Spiced Bourbon Beer & Maple... 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie 3.7/5 (23 Votes)