Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie
You can't go wrong with this pretty and delicious old fashioned banana cream pie - a blast from the past!
- 1 (9-inch) pie crusts, baked
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 bananas
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from usrecipe.com
Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready.
In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla. Let sit until lukewarm.
When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
If desired, make a meringue (you'll have 3 leftover egg whites) to top the pie, or just let the pie cool until serving.
You'll also love
- Grape Salad 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Cauliflower Parmesan Cheese Crust... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Pecan Pie 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Chocolate Raspberry Dump Cake 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- The No-Peel Apple Cake 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Blueberry Ice Cream Pie 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Homemade Banana Pudding in a Jar 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Chocolate Banana Cream Cake 4.4/5 (20 Votes)