Shrimp & Corn Chowder
A deliciously rich and creamy Shrimp and Corn Chowder with potatoes, onions, and celery is the perfect meal to serve on a busy weeknight or when you need to feed a crowd of hungry buddies. This recipe can be paired with a lightly dressed side salad, your favorite sandwich recipe, or just some crusty bread for dipping.
- 3/4 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 pound Yukon gold potatoes, mini diced (not peeled)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 90mins
In a large heavy kettle, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over a medium heat and cook the shrimp for 4 to 7 minutes or until they become opaque on the outside. Remove the shrimp to a plate, set aside.
Heat the remaining butter and cook the onion and celery for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and flour and continue to cook for additional 2 minutes. Then add the paprika, bay leaf, chicken stock, and diced potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add the corn and continue to cook for additional 15 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, reserve 8 shrimp and chop the remaining into bite-size pieces. Add the heavy cream, old bay seasoning, and all the shrimp. Adjust seasoning to your preference.
You'll also love
- Soup- Lobster, Shrimp and Corn... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Ham Salad 4.2/5 (21 Votes)
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry... 4.1/5 (32 Votes)
- Polenta Olive Tapenade Bites 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
- Garlic Parmesan Crusted Roasted... 4/5 (23 Votes)
- Asian Mochi Rolls 驴打滚儿 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Substitute/homemade light corn... 4/5 (37 Votes)
- Long Boy Burgers 3.7/5 (91 Votes)