Paleo Apple Pie
Enjoy apple pie, while eating paleo! This paleo apple pie satisfies the sweet tooth, while staying on your eating plan -- even non-paleo eaters will enjoy this pie!
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot powder, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds apples (about 8 medium), I used granny smiths and gala
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- You will also need aluminum foil, parchment paper, and a pie pan
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot, coconut sugar, and salt. Stir to combine with a whisk.
Cut the butter into smaller chunks (see above) and add it to the dry mixture. Cut it in with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks and vanilla and whisk to combine.
In another small bowl, lightly beat the egg whites. Set aside. You’re saving them to brush on the crust.
Add the wet ingredients (NOT the egg whites) to the dry, and stir / cut in until incorporated.
Gather the dough into 2 balls and form into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. (meanwhile, prepare the apple filling, below)
Once the apples are cut and mixed with the other ingredients, remove the crust from the fridge. If one is slightly smaller than the other, start with that one. To roll out the dough, dust a piece of parchment paper with arrowroot, and dust the dough as well.
Roll out into a 10 inch round. Transfer to the pie pan by picking it up with the parchment paper, and flipping it into the pan. Pinch together, as necessary. Brush the bottom crust with egg whites.
Pour the apple filling into the bottom crust and arrange to be as even as possible.
Repeat step 6 with the top crust. Pinch and fold the edges together to form the outside edge. Brush with egg whites liberally, and sprinkle with coconut sugar. You will have extra egg whites.
MAKE THE FILLING:
Peel and core the apples and slice them into 1/4-1/3 inch slices.
In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and arrowroot powder.
Bake in the center rack of your oven for 30 minutes. Loosely cover the pie with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake another 30 minutes.
Allow the pie to cool before cutting.
You'll also love
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken, tomato, onion... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Alien Pretzels (Halloween treats) 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Green Grape Caterpillars 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Crock Pot Applesauce 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken-Broccoli Crepes 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Orange Chocolate Dream 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Broccoli Apple Salad 4.4/5 (5 Votes)