Herb & Garlic Cornbread
Turn up the flavor volume on chili night or any weekday night with this Herb and Garlic Cornbread recipe. This recipe makes a great starter for any cornbread stuffing or dressing recipe. Zesty and full of flavor this cornbread is sure to be a hit on your dinner table tonight.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour, dipped and leveled
- 3/4 cup coarsely ground cornmeal, dipped and leveled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- a generous 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg, plus 1 yolk, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from splendidtable.org
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Slip a 9-inch square, shiny metal baking pan, not a dark baking pan, into the oven.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a whisk to thoroughly combine. Stir in the onion, thyme, garlic, and cheddar until well blended. Set aside.
In another large bowl, beat the butter with the eggs, and gradually add the milk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones only long enough to combine. The mixture should be a little lumpy. Don’t over mix.
Using thick potholders to take the hot pan from the oven, add the olive oil and swirl it around to coat the pan. Take extra care not to burn yourself. Pour in the batter and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes in the baking pan, then turn the cornbread out onto a rack or cut it into chunks for faster cooling. Serve immediately
You'll also love
- Shrimp Marinara Soup with Crumbled... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- AHA Campbells Turkey Meatloaf 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Herb-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Pamelas Gluten Free Bagels 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Olive Bread Stuffing with Fennel 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Roasted Pumpkin Garlic Spread 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Tomato Artichoke Appetizers 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon Canapés 4.3/5 (8 Votes)