Leftover Turkey Egg Foo Yung Recipe
- Egg Foo Yung Sauce:
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black or white pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons canola, corn, or peanut oil, divided
- 1/4 cup peeled and diced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 stem bok choy, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup diced leftover turkey
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup homemade or storebought Chinese chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster flavored sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Pepper to taste, optional
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
Preparation time 15mins
Adapted from chinesefood.about.com
Preparing the Egg Foo Young: To prepare the egg foo yung sauce, bring the chicken broth to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the seasonings – the oyster sauce, light soy sauce and pepper. Give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick re-stir and add, stirring to thicken (adjust the heat slightly up or down as needed). Remove the pot to another burner and keep warm on low heat while preparing and cooking the egg foo yung.
In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the salt, pepper and rice wine or sherry.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Cook briefly, then add the mushrooms and cook until browned (about 5 – 6 minutes total cooking time). Remove from the pan.
Add the cooked onion and mushrooms to the egg mixture, along with the mung bean sprouts, bok choy, leftover turkey and green onion.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the pan. When the oil is hot, add the egg mixture. You can either make several small omelets or one large omelet. In either case, cook until the bottom is cooked, then turn over and cook the other side.
Serve the egg foo yung with the sauce poured over top.
You'll also love
- Mandarin Orange Cookie Dessert... 4.1/5 (25 Votes)
- Grilled Pork Chops with... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Barbacoa Beef Tacos with Two Sauces 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Juicy Turkey Burgers 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
Review this recipe