Mandarin Orange Cookie Dessert Salad
We make this salad all the time! It’s definitely a crowd pleaser especially for the kids and picky eaters!
I have made this salad many times. I also put sliced bananas in it just before serving. And, an easy way to break the cookies up, is to crush them in the package before opening it. It is less messy that way. I have also added cut up green apples. Most everyone in our town knows this salad by, “Aunt Lola Salad”. My husband’s aunt made this about 32 years ago and the name has stuck since. Everyone loves Aunt Lola Salad. It is a favorite at Church Dinners.
- 2 (3.4 ounce) packages vanilla instant pudding
- 2 cups buttermilk*
- 2 (8 ounce) containers Cool-Whip non-dairy frozen whipped topping
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained well
- 2 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained well
- 3/4 (11.5 ounce) package fudge-striped cookies (I used Keebler brand)
- I have substituted milk before and I think it still tastes delicious
Adapted from sixsistersstuff.com
In a large bowl, mix together the dry pudding mixes and buttermilk. Fold in the Cool-Whip. Stir in the pineapple and mandarin oranges until incorporated. Break cookies into bite-size pieces and gently fold into salad mixture. Serve immediately.
If you want to make this ahead of time, just wait to add the cookie pieces until right before you serve it because the cookies tend to go soggy, unless you like them that way!