Black Rice, Beet & Kale Salad with Cider Flax Dressing
This delicious salad resulted from an effort to create a hearty vegetarian dish while at the same time offering a delicious gluten-free option.
- 1 pound beets, halved
- 2/3 cup uncooked black rice
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 cups packed, shredded raw kale
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed flaxseed oil OR extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 250mins
Adapted from cooking.nytimes.com
Preheat oven to 400°F. Add beets to a sheet of parchment-lined foil. Crunch into a ball. Roast for 1 1/2 hours, until tender. Cool until comfortable to handle. Cut beets into bite-sized pieces or wedges. Add to a large bowl.
In a medium pot, add rice and 1 1/3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 40 to 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add to beets, along with kale and pecans.
In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients or shake in a jar. Add to salad. Toss to combine, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (overnight is best). Before serving, taste and adjusting seasoning if desired.
This salad will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
You'll also love
- Grilled Wild Mushroom and Kale... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Vegetable Bean Soup - 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Spiced Peach Jam 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp and Corn Cakes 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Hoppin' John 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Beet-Citrus Salad with Pistachios 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Spinach Pie with Pine Nuts 4/5 (8 Votes)
- Arkansas Green Beans 4.4/5 (5 Votes)