Southern Style Turnip Greens
From Lisa's Carolina Kitchen: The following is my mother's recipe for turnips. ~Lisa Carter Waring
- 8 cups turnip greens, torn
- 1 large turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Adapted from facebook.com
Wash about eight cups of torn turnip greens and slow boil the greens for about two hours in a large pot filled with eight cups of water and 1 tablespoon of salt.
At the same time, in a smaller saucepan, slow boil 1 large, peeled and diced turnip root in three cups of water, two tablespoons of butter, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper.
Add more water to both pots during the cooking process, if necessary.
Next, combine the cooked root to the large pot of cooked turnip greens. Add 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper and stir.
Serve with white cider vinegar or hot pepper sauce.
You'll also love
- CUBAN BEEF STEW 3.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Pork Stew 4/5 (8 Votes)
- Watermelon Steak with Sorbetto 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Big Boy Slim Jim Sandwich 3.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Bacon & Balsamic Glazed Sugar Snap... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Fried Artichoke Hearts with Aioli... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Broccoli Salad 3.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Potato Bacon Cheddar Tart 3.9/5 (36 Votes)