Slow-Cooker Hoppin' John
This quick and easy Slow-Cooker Hoppin' John recipes comes together in no time and cooks up hands-free in your slow-cooker, so you can have a hearty and warming dinner on the table with minimal effort. Black-eyed peas, crushed red pepper, canned tomatoes, and bacon come together to create a rich and flavorful dish people will think you slaved over.
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked over
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 335mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Place bacon in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until just beginning to crisp. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape bacon, bacon fat and onion into slow cooker. Add crushed red pepper, peas, and 4 cups water and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low until peas are nearly tender, 3 to 4 hours.
Stir in tomatoes, rice, and salt. Cover and continue to cook just until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Fluff with a fork and serve.
You'll also love
- Almond Milk Rice Pudding 4/5 (143 Votes)
- Beet-Citrus Salad with Pistachios 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Mushroom-Swiss Mac & Cheese 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Tomato & Basil Pesto Soup, Made... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Paleo Loca's Pork Green Chile 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Jalapeño-Cheese Grits Casserole 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- 3 Ingredient Asian Style Sauce 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cinco de Mayo Burger 4.5/5 (4 Votes)