Grilled Wild Mushroom and Kale Tacos with Chipotle Salsa
From Shape Magazine Oct. 2014
From chef Ivy Stark, author of Dos Caminos Tacos
- 2 1/4 pounds mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Chipotle Salsa or jarred salsa
- 1 small bunch kale (8 oz.), stems removed and cut into thin slices
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup crumbled cheese (goat in picture), seasoned with black pepper
- Chipotle Salsa:
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 28-oz. can peeled tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo (canned)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. toasted ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried epazote or dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano or regular dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground Ceylon or cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- Fine sea salt
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
1. Preheat the broiler. In a flat pan, brush onion quarters with 1 tsp. of the oil. Broil on a rack about 5 inches from the heat about 8 minutes, turning once, until soft and golden.
2. In a small skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium. Add garlic and sauté until soft and golden, shaking the pan occasionally.
3. In a blender, combine onion, garlic, tomatoes (including juices), chipotle peppers, bay leaf, cumin, basil, oregano, cinnamon, black pepper, and allspice. Puree until smooth. Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Salsa will last for about a week stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
1. Heat a gas grill or large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, toss the mushrooms with 2 tbsp. of oil, and grill or sauté them in skillet until browned and just cooked through. Remove mushrooms from heat, cut into slices, season with salt and pepper, and spoon Chipotle Salsa to taste on top.
2. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over high. Add the kale and cook about 5 minutes or until crisp, turning often. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon mushrooms onto tortillas, garnish with the kale and goat cheese, and serve with some of the remaining salsa on the side.
You'll also love
- Grilled or Pan Roasted Pork... 4.6/5 (39 Votes)
- Spiced Peach Jam 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Welsh Rabbit (Rarebit) British... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp and Corn Cakes 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Chopped Tomato Salad Crostini 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Crab Cake Eggs Benedict with... 3.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Lettuce, Banana and Strawberry... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Mushroom & Wild Rice Frittata 4.3/5 (7 Votes)