Sweet Potato Casserole
Our family LOVED this side dish/dessert at Thanksgiving. I found this recipe on The Pioneer Woman Cooks. I've made this a few times, and have since reduced the white sugar and added brown sugar, and it's still plenty sweet. This is a nice change from traditional sweet potatoes (garnet yams, really) without marshmallows.
This is another winner from The Pioneer Woman Cooks!
- 4 whole medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk (I used 2% and it worked out fine)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, optional
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 stick butter
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Wash 4 medium sweet potatoes and bake them in a 375°F oven until fork tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. When they are finished cooking slice them open and scrape out the flesh into a large bowl.
Add 1 cup of (regular granulated) sugar, 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Note: I think the sugar can be reduced by half, and it would still be amazing.
With a potato masher, mash them up just enough, you don’t want it to be perfectly smooth.
Note: I used a hand mixer, on low speed, in spurts, so as not to puree the sweet potatoes too much.
Now, in a separate bowl, add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup pecans, chopped (that means measure a cup of pecans, then chop them), 1/2 cup flour, and 3/4 stick of butter. With a pastry cutter or fork, mash together until thoroughly combined.
Note: You can easily make this a day or two ahead.
Spread the sweet potato mixture into a regular baking dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top.
Note: I used individual ramekins.
Bake in a 400°F oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
You'll also love
- Alfredo Seafood Fettuccine 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken and Quinoa Burrito... 4.2/5 (8 Votes)
- Salmon Casserole with Spinach 3.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet Red Pepper Jelly 3.9/5 (26 Votes)
- K's Sausage & Oyster Dressing 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Simple Summer Corn and Endive Salad 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Big Daddy's Grilled Blue... 3.6/5 (18 Votes)