Salmon Casserole with Spinach
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, cooked and thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb salmon fillet
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 lb Gouda, grated
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
Adapted from quick-german-recipes.com
In frying pan, heat 1 tbsp. butter. Cook half of diced onion until translucent. Add garlic.
Add spinach and 1/4 cup water. Cover and let simmer about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Put finished spinach into a sieve to drain while you are making the rest of the casserole.
Cut salmon into bite-size pieces and sprinkle with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease casserole dish.
In another frying pan, cook remaining onion in 1 tbsp. butter until translucent. Stir in flour and briefly cook.
Mix 1 cup cream and 3/4 cup milk. Add to onion/flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
Add half the Gouda to sauce. Season with salt, pepper, and generous amount of nutmeg.
Remove from heat.
Whisk eggs with remaining 1/4 cup milk and stir into sauce.
Layer potatoes in casserole. Spoon a bit of sauce over potatoes. Cover with spinach. Evenly spread salmon pieces over top.
Spoon remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining gouda.
Bake, uncovered about 35 minutes. Salmon should flake when cut.
Use Emmentaler or Swiss instead of Gouda
If you make this ahead of time, put it in the fridge until it's time to bake. You will need to increase the baking time by about 10 minutes.
Use a casserole dish that is large and shallow rather than narrow and deep. It will allow the potatoes and spinach to heat up quicker.
You'll also love
- K's Sausage & Oyster Dressing 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Simple Summer Corn and Endive Salad 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Big Daddy's Grilled Blue... 3.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Black Bean Soup with Lime... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Wilted Spinach Salad with grilled... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Risotto Slow-Cooker Sausage and... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Hot Crawfish Spinach Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Salmon en Croute with Spinach and... 5/5 (1 Votes)