Rib-Eye alla Fiorentina, with Orange Pickled Shallots
Bistecca alla Fiorentia is one of the most celebrated dishes in Tuscany. It's also one of the simplest, according to Cuisine at Home (June 2011 issue). In doing a little bit of internet research, I see that a Porterhouse cut of beef is most traditional. I think that a Rib-Eyes is a great alternative choice, because it has a lot of marbling. As the interior fat melts, it keeps the steak flavorful and moist-- which is a great failsafe, in case you overcook a bit longer than you intended to.
I've never been to Tuscany, but the magazine photo of a beautifully grilled steaks with olive oil, herbs of fresh basil and mint, and orange zest was irresistible. Indeed, this is very simple to make, and the results were flavorful and unique. We love to grill rib-eye steaks, because they are so tender. My husband has been asking when I'll make this again. I hope you try this for yourself.
- FOR THE PICKLED SHALLOTS:
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1-1 ⁄2 cups very thinly sliced shallots (about 4 large)
- Black pepper to taste
- FOR THE STEAK:
- 2 rib-eye steaks* (1-1/2 inch thick/3 pound total), trimmed and seasoned with salt & black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Minced zest of 1 orange
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- You can use a porterhouse cut of steak, if you wish
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat grill to medium high (we used our Weber grill and briquettes).
Brush grill grate with oil.
Bring the steaks to room temperature for about 30 minutes, so that it grills more evenly.
For the shallots:
Boil the orange juice and vinegar in a saucepan. Off heat, stir in shallots, 1 tsp salt; season with pepper, cover and let sit until pickled, at least 15 minutes or as long as overnight.
For the steak:
Combine oil, mint, basil, garlic and zest in a shallow dish; season with salt and pepper.
Grill steaks, covered, about 5 minutes per side for medium.
Transfer steaks to oil mixture, tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes. then flip to coat steaks in oil mixture.
Serve steaks with pickled shallots.
NOTE: Rare = 115f - 120F/ Medium Rare = 125F - 130F/ Medium = 135F - 140F
You'll also love
- Potato Soup (WW) 3.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Chicken with Spicy Rice 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Kielbasa, Chicken & Pasta Casserole 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Lemon Dream Dessert 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Lobster Salad Roll 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry, Walnut, and Lemon... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- 7-Layer Mexican Dip 4.8/5 (5 Votes)