Thai-Style Chicken Soup
With fresh ingredients you can make your favorite Thai restaurant soup at home. With a little bit of sweet and a bit of a kick, this recipe is a hit!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 stalks lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed, bottom 5 inches halved lengthwise and sliced thin crosswise
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14-ounce) cans coconut milk, well-shaken, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and sliced on bias into 1/8 inch thick pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced (Optional)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on bias
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat until just shimmering.
Add lemongrass, shallots, cilantro and 1 tablespoon fish sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until just softened, 2 to 5 minutes (vegetables should not brown).
Stir in chicken broth and 1 can coconut milk. Bring to simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until flavors have blended, 10 minutes.
Pour broth through fine mesh strainer and discard solids. Rinse saucepan and return broth mixture to pan.
Return pan to medium-high heat. Stir remaining can coconut milk and sugar into broth mixture and bring to simmer.
Reduce heat to medium, add mushrooms and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until no longer pink, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove soup from heat.
Combine lime juice, curry paste and remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce in small bowl. Stir into soup.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, chiles, and scallions. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
You'll also love
- Tender Garlic Lemon Chicken Strips... 3.8/5 (329 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken & Pasta Bake 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Oven Fried Chicken 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Curry Chicken 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Nuggets 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Asian Sesame Chicken Salad... 4.1/5 (78 Votes)
- Chicken Soup in a Pressure Cooker 4.7/5 (22 Votes)
- Jalapeno Chicken & Rice Casserole 4.3/5 (61 Votes)